When attempting to open a new document sent form a different computer, Office 2010 and 2013 clients would display an error that says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."
Users who saw the above error were also receiving an error in Excel:
"Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough availiable memory or disk space."
This error would appear even if the user had loads of free memory and disk space.
At first the two errors didn't seem related but it turned out that the same fix resolved both issues.
We found that if we right-clicked on the file and went to Properties we were able to "Unblock" the file and remove the restriction.
However, this was not a practical solution if the user had a lot of files. The more permanent fix is to turn off Protected View in the applications themselves.
- Open Word
- Go to File/Options/Trust Centre/Trust Centre Settings
- Remove the tick from the three boxes
- Save the changes and restart Word
- You should now be able to open the document without blocking
- Follow the same procedure for Excel documents