Saturday, February 26, 2011

Missing admin accounts on Mac: FIX

Shut down the computer if it is on.
Press the power button to start the computer.
Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode.
Type "mount -uw /" and press return.
Type "passwd" and press return.
 Enter new password (this will be for the root user account) and press return.
Type "reboot" and press return.
Enter Account settings and when prompted for administrator account and password, use the user name root and the password you just setup
Check box for you standard account to administrate box
 If all goes well you are admin again.

Then log in as Root:

dscl . -create /Groups/admin
dscl . -create /Groups/admin RealName Administrators
dscl . -create /Groups/admin PrimaryGroupID 80
dscl . -create /Groups/admin Password [password]
dscl . -create /Groups/admin GroupMembership root

Original post:  http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/299801-howto-fix-user-lost-administrator-privileges.html

1 comment:

rajesh said...

I have an iPad 3 (I love it very much) and I have an old Linux desktop I repaired last year. I need a MacBook Air as a primary computer because god only knows if on my Linux Desktop will crap out. Plus Macs are excellent for computer programming (what I want to do). I am 13 if that helps, so I can't get a job. Any suggestions on how to make money and save up?
@ imac repairs